Re: ORBit2 and linc - licensing?

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Sander Vesik wrote:

> There seems to be an assumption being made here - that linc is licenced
> under LGPL. In fact, linc contains no licencing information at all, and
> whetever and how it was linkable to orbit naturaly depends on what licecne
> it is available under and how it was built (with/without LGPL).
>
> You also haven't considered the fact that OpenSSL is tortally OK any any
> platforms where it is part of the platform, and yes such do exist. The
> ability of the library linc to be built with openssl support does not
> affect it's ability to be used by Orbit.
>
> Please refrain from trying to start a "FSF vs. the rest of the world" type
> flamewar.

Interesting that you assume I am trying to start a flame war by inviting
people to ask the FSF.  Would not the FSF have the best understanding of
compatability of the LPGL with other licenses?  It sounds very much to me
like you have some personnal gripe with the FSF.  That is fine.  I have no
problem with that at all, but don't read into what other people are saying
assuming that they are trying to promote a "FSF vs. the rest of the world"
mentality.

	Even if some people don't like the FSF, its practices, or the
licenses it has created, the FSF can still be utilized as a resource for
answering questions in regard to the compatability issues that arise when
developers are making use of free software licenses and have questions
regarding the use of those licenses.  That is why I said, if you really
want to know the answer, check with the FSF licensing people.

On another note, I was not assuming anything about linc, I was assuming
that ORBit was under the LGPL.  Thus, certain restrictions apply if you
wish to keep it under the LGPL.  Realize, that to add a line in your
license providing exemptions for linking with non-compatible licenses, you
need the approval of every person who has ever contributed code to ORBit.
Now that I have clarified which product I am referring to the use of the
LGPL with perhaps you can actually provide commentary on the sections of
the LGPL to which I was referring.

Matthew M. Copeland