Re: RFC: GnomeMDI

On Sat, 23 Jun 2001, George wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 11:20:46PM +0200, Martin Baulig wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > small request for comments:
> >
> > What should happen with GnomeMDI ?
>
> Since it depends on GnomeApp and friends quite heavily, why not just stick it
> into libcompat.
>
> I imagine most apps in gnome 2 will still link to libcompat anyway, and havoc
> seems to have promised MDI in GTK 2.2, which I suppose will have a saner
> interface then.  And we'll have to maintain libcompat for quite a bit if not
> indefinetly really.  Not adding new features, but it will need to be around
> if we want to show commitment to at least some source compat.

Indefinately? No, all deprectaed features should - and hopefully will - go
away at some point. Yes, it will mean that programs that have not been
fully ported (or have just sticked around) will no longer work. There is
of course a positive side to that aswell 8-)

I really hope most programs won't be linking against te compat libs at 2.0
relase - that would be an indication that something went wrong...

> It kind of sucks that GnomeMDI interface is somewhat crappy and people aren't
> using it since we don't get UI consistency, but oh well.
>
> George
>
> --
> George <jirka 5z com>
>    If you think nobody cares if you're alive,
>    try missing a couple of car payments.
>                        -- Earl Wilson

	Sander

One day a tortoise will learn to fly