Re: GConf debate ... the hermenutical key.

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 09:57:00PM -0400, Michael Meeks wrote:
> 	So, here goes: at GUADEC I spent some time remonstrating with
> Havoc in private over a whiteboard explaining the benefits of storing
> CORBA Any's - their mapping to the structured storage, their flexibility,
> upgradability etc.
>
> * 	After some considerable time I got the frank response "We don't
> * think CORBA is the future".
>
> 	This for me is the key to understanding what I will call the
> 'RedHat' position:
>
> 	* Gtk+ is the platform.
> 	* We need a new component system [ hub ].
> 	* That component system is not ORBit / Bonobo.

   I started posting on this thread without taking advice from anyone,
I speak for myself on Gnome issues, and feel attacked without reasons.
I think configuration options should be easilly extractible and manipulable.
I'm not sure the file format is sufficient to garantee this, a simple
API at a relatively lower level is simply saner in this case.

   I have more and more the feeling that I'm useless w.r.t. Gnome, well
I will focuse on what I understand and don't get bashed if I take position
about it.

    respectfully,

Daniel

Sep 17-18 2001 Brussels Red Hat TechWorld http://www.redhat-techworld.com