Re: Some questions

Ravi Pratap M <ravi che iitm ac in> writes:

> 	I have been trying to understand the nature of work involved in
> making libgnome1-compat work and in the process, some questions have been
> dancing around in my head.
>
> 	Just to understand what we are trying to do better, I am going to
> make some really misinformed statements in the hope I get lots of nice
> answers :-)
>
> 	(All modules mentioned are from CVS HEAD)
>
> 	* AFAIK, gnome-libs HEAD was split into libgnome, libgnomeui and
> libgnome1-compat.

Correct.

> 	* A number of things in libgnome and libgnomeui are now deprecated
> and all these have been moved (not done yet fully I gather) to
> libgnome1-compat/libgnome and libgnome1-compat/libgnomeui.

Yes.

> 	* libgnome1-compat is to help apps written against the 1.x API
> compile on the GNOME 2 platform. Is this what we mean by source-compatible
> release ?

It is not completely source compatible, for instance we did the
imlib -> gdk-pixbuf port in it.

> 	* Apps like the ones mentioned above to have make a few minor
> changes in the headers they use and presto, they build fine on GNOME 2
>
> 	* Anything not moved to libgnome1-compat from libgnome[ui] is API
> compatible with GNOME 1.x ??

More or less. There are situations where we need to break the API, for
instance when things don't work with GTK+ 2 any longer (for instance imlib).

> 	* After all the deprecated stuff has been moved to
> libgnome1-compat, all the code has to be ported to GTK+ 2.0

At least, make it work with GTK+ 2.

> 	* Stuff already provided in Bonobo or GTK+ 2.0 should necessarily
> be deprecated and moved into the compat library ?

Yes.

> 	* libzvt - needs to be ported to GTK+ 2.0 and written to depend on
> the new libgnome, libgnomeui. Not libgnome1-compat, right ?

Yes, but you should ask Michael Zucchini (hmm, did I spell his name correctly?)
about it.

> 	* Where in the world does libgnomebase fit into all this ?

Forget about it.

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)