- From: Ravi Pratap M <ravi che iitm ac in>
- To: "Gnome 2.0 List" <gnome-2-0-list gnome org>
- Subject: Some questions
- Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:10:10 +0530 (IST)
I have been trying to understand the nature of work involved in
making libgnome1-compat work and in the process, some questions have been
dancing around in my head.
Just to understand what we are trying to do better, I am going to
make some really misinformed statements in the hope I get lots of nice
(All modules mentioned are from CVS HEAD)
* AFAIK, gnome-libs HEAD was split into libgnome, libgnomeui and
* A number of things in libgnome and libgnomeui are now deprecated
and all these have been moved (not done yet fully I gather) to
libgnome1-compat/libgnome and libgnome1-compat/libgnomeui.
* libgnome1-compat is to help apps written against the 1.x API
compile on the GNOME 2 platform. Is this what we mean by source-compatible
* Apps like the ones mentioned above to have make a few minor
changes in the headers they use and presto, they build fine on GNOME 2
* Anything not moved to libgnome1-compat from libgnome[ui] is API
compatible with GNOME 1.x ??
* After all the deprecated stuff has been moved to
libgnome1-compat, all the code has to be ported to GTK+ 2.0
* Stuff already provided in Bonobo or GTK+ 2.0 should necessarily
be deprecated and moved into the compat library ?
* libzvt - needs to be ported to GTK+ 2.0 and written to depend on
the new libgnome, libgnomeui. Not libgnome1-compat, right ?
* Where in the world does libgnomebase fit into all this ?
Hoping to hear soon how wrong I am,
"If you're smart, you'll be humble. There always is somebody
who hasn't read a book and knows twice as much as you do."
-- David Duchonvy in Readers' Digest
Ravi Pratap M <ravi che iitm ac in>
] [Thread Prev