Re: building gnome 2.0

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> I think the solution basically involves fixing aclocal to be less
> broken... not going to be a short-term solution sadly.
>
> For GTK we did end up renaming the macros, so AM_PATH_GTK_2_0, etc.
>
> Havoc

Something that works pretty reliably for the eazel build sytem
(eazel-hacking) is to build automake (and thus aclocal) for each build
you make each with its own prefix.

So we have:

/gnome/bin/aclocal
/gnome/GNOME20/bin/aclocal
/gnome/PROFILE/bin/aclocal

And so on for each build.  And then to switch back and forth from each
build, we change the leading path in PATH.

I used to make this work by changing ACLOCAL_FLAGS instead, and that was
a pain and very ugly.

I got this idea from George and it works very well.

-re