Re: About GNOME 2.0 - The end of a dream

Hi,

Cool email address by the way, hadn't noticed that. ;-)

Maciej Stachowiak <mjs noisehavoc org> writes:
> * Should gnome-libs use bonobo-config, or GConf directly? I guess this
> is really only an implementation detail so I think it doesn't matter
> much except for unnecessary runtime dependencies.

I guess my feeling is that it doesn't matter too much. Apps can still
choose to access GConf via either mechanism.

> * Should bonobo-config support changing to a non-GConf database?

My understanding is that this support is simply activating a moniker
to get a particular sort of property bag. So not supporting other
databases would mean not installing the xmldb or xmldirdb monikers.

I can see those monikers as useful in a non-GNOME-desktop situation,
so I don't have a problem with installing them. I just think we should
require that the config: moniker be used for configuration for the
GNOME desktop, and it'll point to GConf. Not-included-in-GNOME apps
can decide which config system serves their users best.

Havoc