Re: GConf vs. bonobo-config

Dietmar Maurer <dietmar ximian com> writes:
> I have made two official announcements the gnome mailing lists. Sorry if you did not
> read them.

I'm amused because I'm reading the NEWS file, I assume it matches the
announces. The first one says:

   Ximian is happy to announce the first release of the Bonobo
   configuration moniker. The system is built on top of GConf and
   provides a convenient way to handle configuration data.

Then the later ones do say that now "there is a GConf backend" instead
of "built on top of GConf." But that's a change from what it was last
I checked.

Unfortunately, I didn't read the later ones, since I didn't have much
interest in a Bonobo GConf wrapper. I really think a major
architecture change (new incompatible config database) should have
been *discussed* rather than *announced*. Moreover the announces said
"Ximian releases" not "GNOME releases," sticking it in GNOME was not
even announced let alone discussed.

But this is water under the bridge. Please, read Owen and Ramiro's
mails.

Havoc