API Freeze Schedule and outstanding API bugs (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 07 Jun 2001 18:40:03 -0400
From: Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>
To: gtk-devel-list gnome org
Subject: API Freeze Schedule and outstanding API bugs

The GTK+ team met this morning and decided on June 30 as
the no-slush API freeze date for

The following are all the API bugs currently open for 2.0
in bugzilla.gnome.org. Will all of these make it in for
2.0? Probably not, but hopefully we can as much as possible
done.

Regards,
                                        Owen

Patches ready to apply
======================
50080 gdk_pixbuf_get_from_drawable() is hosed
50768 Make the input widget's cursor Xkb keyboard layout aware
50980 revamp inlined pixbuf code
52574 geometry parsing
  (waiting on #53151)

Simple quick fixes
==================
50321 need length-taking variants of strstr g_utf8_strchr()
52027 Add gtk_rc_get_style_from_path()
52892 GTK_TYPE_GDK_* defines missing from gtk/gtkcompat.h
54411 g_memmove warnings
55189 GtkTreeSelection still a GtkObject, selection_changed signal
55467 extend gtk_window_set_has_frame()
55516 Rename gtk_radio_button_group () to gtk_radio_button_get_gro

Quick decisions for Havoc
=========================
55371 add gtk_text_buffer_get_start_iter()
52834 begin_resize args

Waiting on agreement
====================
50206 Some GObject methods take a gpointer
50209 Need a G_TYPE_ for non-nul-terminated strings
50211 would be nice to get rid of g_type_init()
50212 Copying param information is not necessary
50213 No accessor for GObject::property_specs
  Easy to do, but timj thinks we need something complicated.
50218 Notification on write-only properties is questionable/proble
51063 Weak references
55893 g_signal_ API fixes
53151 gtk_window_set_size(), gtk_window_set_location()

Needs some thought
===================
1579 Setting Gtk widget insensitive can lock GUI
51746 Notification of shadowing by gtk_grab_add
55426 GtkEntry and GtkLabel need functions

Medium Stuff
============
50070 DND in TreeView needs implementing
54166 glib should have non-locale-sensitive islower/isupper/tolowe
  55836 need locale-sensitive sorting for UTF-8 strings (g_utf8_strc
  55852 Do we need anything between strcmp and g_utf8_strcoll for UT
54946 need a g_object_newv function
55894 Shapers need access to language tags
52434 Lock accelerators by default
  51745 Notification of accelerator changes
  54529 make AccelGroup and AccelLabel work with GObjects rather tha
  55799 GtkAccelGroup not GObject

Major Stuff
===========
50266 Text/Pixbuf/Pixtext cell renderers could just be merged
  The outstanding work item here is doing multiple cell renderers
  for column - that would allow removing the pixtext renderer.
  Fairly likely to be punted.
50919 Finish Plug/Socket
  (Depends #51746, #51745)
50966 Interface methods can't be overridden in derived classes
50902 GTK+ Widgets need to implement an Accessibility API
50504 Multiple Display Support for X11 implementation
  Not clear if we'll merge prior to 2.0.0, but need to
  make sure we're all agreed on API.
52811 Need encoding conversion for GIOChannel
  Have reasonable patch, but needs review/refinement.
55727 Named themes via xsetting
  55110 sysconfig gtkrc is broken
55767 Getters for all setters
55891 Class closures can't be overriden in derived classes

	Sander,
		just don't ask if I feel quilty

One day a tortoise will learn to fly
	-- Terry Pratchett, 'Small Gods'