Re: user levels, disclosure triangles, and preferences (was GNOME user environment brainstorming)

On Wednesday, June 6, 2001, at 02:41  PM, Darin Adler wrote:

This is a misunderstanding of the user level feature we implemented it in Nautilus.

Oops. I meant to say:

This is a misunderstanding of the user level feature as we implemented it in Nautilus.

For example, beginners in Nautilus get a home directory that is not $HOME.
 Experts who want to use

Oops. I meant to say:

To give the most-extreme example, beginners in Nautilus get a home directory that is not $HOME. Experts who want to use that beginner home directory can do so, by setting a preference. So the higher user levels can get the exact same experience as the lower user level, simply by setting the preferences appropriately. In most cases, the higher user level experience is identical, and all that's done is more preferences are revealed.

This suggests that instead of calling this a user level, we could call it a "preferences level" or something like that.

I guess I should also mention that this user level approach was pioneered by Apple in their Finder and Microsoft in Word. In earlier releases, both of these programs had "simple" variants. In both cases, the simple versions had simplified menus and fewer preferences. A single switch gave you the more-advanced menus and preferences.

This idea you have about going a higher user level, tweaking a feature that was hidden, and then going back to the lower user level is not part of it. There's no reason to "switch back" to your old user level. And if you do switch back, any settings that are hidden.

Oops. I meant to say:

And if you do switch back, any settings that are hidden go back to their standard setting.

    -- Darin