Re: where to put it all

Michael Meeks <michael ximian com> writes:

> Hi James,
>
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, James Henstridge wrote:
> > It would make a lot more sense to place packages under /pub/GNOME,
> > since some mirror sites will only be mirroring the /pub/GNOME
> > directory, so would miss these packages.  There is already a
> > /pub/GNOME/unstable directory which could be used.
>
>         The problem is - we will need an identical hierarchy to that in
> /pub/GNOME, and having an identical hirearcy based off a sub-part of
> another hierarchy sounds like confusion and mess to me :-)
>
> > How about /pub/GNOME/unstable/latest/gnome2 or something?
>
>         /pub/GNOME/unstable/latest/gnome2/unstable/latest/sources ?
>         /pub/GNOME/unstable/latest/gnome2/unstable/sources/linc ?
>         /pub/GNOME/unstable/latest/gnome2/unstable/source/ORBit ?
>
>         etc. - looks like a mess to me; Martin has renamed /pub/gnome2 to
> /pub/pre-gnome2 due to the horrible ignorance of the slashdot masses, and
> to avoid bad press. That seems fine to me for now.

Shouldn't we simply have another hierarchy parallel to stable/ and
unstable/

 /pub/GNOME/earthquake/sources/linc
 /pub/GNOME/earthquake/latest/

(Having a "more unstable than unstable" tree seems odd to me,
but considering that we've never moved a bunch of widely
used libraries into stable before people, I guess it is necessary)

Having another hierarchy parallel to GNOME/ is going to be
a mess for our mirrors, especially if we have to rename
it at some point.

Regards,
                                        Owen