Re: GnomeVFS depends on Bonobo now

Hi Seth,

On 28 Jul 2001, Seth Nickell wrote:
>  In the case of gnome-vfs, I am somewhat hindered by not being sure
> what's actually working and what's not.

	Ahh :-) well - ultimately everything should work - and we're
getting a lot better from the ORB up at writing and using regression
tests, which is excellent.

> For example, I have failed to get a simple component/factory/container
> system going with libbonobo, oaf, and orbit2.

	Ok - it all works fine here - I would suspect an unclean re-build
from ORBit-martin-forked. I was poisoned in everything I did for a day or
too before I realised that things were configured against the old
ORBit2.pc that included libORBit-util.so, which _seriously_ screws up
ORBit2.

	So, I'd be inclined to trash ${prefix}/lib/*ORB* and re-install
ORBit2 and re-configure and re-install oaf, libbonobo, gconf,
bonobo-config etc. to ensure that that is not the problem - it's a pain I
know.

> It seems like we may start requiring staggered freeze dates as more
> libraries depend on each other.

	This seems reasonable - problem is, we've got several things we
want to get done by the API freeze in 2 days, at the bottom of the pile -
mercifuly these shouldn't have any real code impact in the ORB - probably
some code impact from reviewing the libbonobo API - but then we're
freezing and we can make sure the APIs actualy work :-)

> BTW, I'll post the thing I can't get working to the list later, but
> I've been meeting with Sun HCI folks today, and then having a barbeque
> and walking several miles...and I'm exhausted!

	Great - I look forward to getting this bug nailed.

	Regards,

		Michael.