Re: GnomeVFS depends on Bonobo now

> On 27 Jul 2001, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > I just committed a metadata idl interface. A more "easy to use"
> > interface with sugar on top will be appearing soon, so this is not of
> > concern to most people at this time... I just wanted to give warning
> > that GnomeVFS now depends on Bonobo, so update your build scripts.
>
> 	In which case, may I apologise unreservedly for lambasting you on
> IRC about it :-) I think you made the right call.

Aw, lambasting and pontification is half the fun I get around this
place...don't apologise or I'll feel guilty when I do it ;-)

> 	Do you agree ? may I do some CVS / autoconf surgery to move them
> in there ?; clearly the 'vfs:' moniker as a whole is quite unsatisfactory,
> and in the future we'll perhaps want to have a more stream based internal
> structure to both the monikers and gnome-vfs storage modules, but for now
> it seems like a quick fix to unify the two easily. And conceptualy it all
> belongs in gnome-vfs I would suggest ?

At this point, that makes sense to me. I'll run it by Ian and see if we
can reach agreement on this point.

I do have one concern about this whole process.... In the case of
libgnome there's a fair overlap between libbonobo developers and
libgnome developers. That means that even though conceptually libbonobo
/ ORBit / whatever being broken in some ways (acceptable by our current
standards pre-library-freeze) could cause a problem, effectively it does
not. In the case of gnome-vfs, I am somewhat hindered by not being sure
what's actually working and what's not.

For example, I have failed to get a simple component/factory/container
system going with libbonobo, oaf, and orbit2. It seems like we may start
requiring staggered freeze dates as more libraries depend on each other.
(this has partly already happened, for example, with GTK and glib which
although not technically frozen have been "95% working and stable" for a
while). BTW, I'll post the thing I can't get working to the list later,
but I've been meeting with Sun HCI folks today, and then having a
barbeque and walking several miles...and I'm exhausted!

-Seth