Re: help making librsvg and eel stay out of the way of GNOME 1 versions

Darin Adler <darin bentspoon com> writes:
> Now that librsvg and eel build under GNOME 2, I'd like to make sure
> they use some scheme like the one used by the gnome-libs or gtk to
> keep libraries and headers out of the way so you can have both the
> old and new versions installed on the same system. (And I now really
> wish it was named libeel rather than eel!)
>
> I was hoping to get some specific instructions on the easiest way to do this from
> one of the people who has already done this with other libraries.

It's pretty simple:

 - rename the library to include version number in Makefile.am.
   So replace libgtk.la with libgtk-1.3.la or whatever.

 - all headers of BOTH the old and the new versions must be
   in a subdirectory of includedir. So:

      includedir/eel1/eel/foo.h
      includedir/eel2/eel/foo.h

   #include <eel/foo.h>

   This may require a re-release of eel1 to fix, but it has to be
   fixed, or people including eel/foo.h will get the old headers.

 - if you have executables or data files, rename them or the directory
   they are inside

 - change your .pc files or -config scripts to contain
   -I includedir/eel2, and the new library name.

 - docs need installing to a versioned directory also, of course,
   a special case of data files

That's about it, it's really not complicated, just tedious. If you
encounter something important I didn't mention maybe send me mail, I'm
trying to write up some library maintenance guidelines and am
including this in that document.

Havoc