Re: autoconf 2.50b - concerns

Hi Martin,

On 9 Jul 2001, Martin Baulig wrote:
> so I just compiled the whole GNOME 2 platform with
>
>         autoconf 2.50b
>         automake 1.4-p4
>         gettext 0.10.38-baulig
>         libtool 1.4 (the released version of it)
>         pkgconfig 0.7.0
>
> I run into a few minor problems but all of them were fixable
> without a lot of work. In total, I changed less than about 10
> lines of code to get things working with the new autoconf.
>
> So are there any objections against just committing all this
> stuff and having people use the new autoconf ?

        I think we should go with it - that is if the RHADL guys think
that it makes sense for a distribution people to go with the new autoconf,
and that it will rapidly become part of the 'Linux' platform.  Clearly we
don't really want to have 1 autoconf to build your system, and another (
incompatible version ) to build Gnome.

        Owen / Havoc - what are your thoughts on this ? is there interest
in RH switching across the board [ what version do you use ] ? are there
some nice RPMS around of this [does rawhide use the recent autoconf bits]
? and finaly what impact will this have on parallel builds of old [Gnome
1.4] software and the platform as a whole ?

        ( This may all sound quite anti the change, but I'm as keen as
anyone to transition as soon as is reasonable ).

        Regards,

                Michael.