Lets switch to ORBit2 ...

Hi Guys,

On 7 Jul 2001, Owen Taylor wrote:
> Martin wrote:
> > However, it looks like ORBit2 is now under active development and
> > getting more and more stable. So what about completely switching to
> > ORBit2 ?

        Yes, lets just do it.

> If ORBit2 is basically useable, the fastest way to get it really
> useable is just declare that we are using it and have everybody use
> it.

        Yes.

> As you know, I'm not fond of this "maybe X works today, or maybe you
> should try Y, I had some luck with that" approach to build
> dependencies ;-)

        :-) indeed.

        The thing is that Mark has really accelerated the implementation
of ORBit2, and we're shaking bugs out of it quite quickly. I am currently
building all of Gnome 2.0 with ORBit2 [ and possibly introducing breakages
vs. ORBit-martin-forked ].

        My only slight worry about using ORBit2 is that it's possible that
people will need to re-build it and installing a new IDL compiler in Gnome
2.0 [rightly] has quite a profound effect on the need to re-build great
chunks of the system ... perhaps we should add a diff stage at the output
of the idl-compiler to avoid touching files. Hmm.

        Anyhow, I think ORBit2 is ready to go, and am highly enthused by
the great work that's going into it.

        Regards,

                Michael.