Re: autoconf 2.50b ... ?

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 11:58:18PM +0200, Martin Baulig wrote:
> > what do you think about updating the GNOME 2 platform to use
> > autoconf 2.50b ?

[snip - pro and con]

> However, I think it's worth the change. It will be slightly painful
> whenever we move over and if we don't change now, when do we? Gnome 2.0
> is not meant to be final until December this year. Debian unstable has
> already moved to autoconf 2.50. Other distros may also have done so by
> then. Some won't havem though. So whichever way we go, there will be
> some distros that can't build "out of the box" (or out of the CVS tree).
> I would think it's easier to say "upgrade autoconf" than to say
> "downgrade autoconf".  (Did that make sense?)

The question isn't - 'should we upgrade to a modern autoconf like
autoconf-2.50b (or some similar version)' - as that is a given but rather
'should we do it now'. At least IMHO. My personal feeling is that we
should delay it...

> Cheers,
> Malcolm
>
> --
> The colder the x-ray table, the more of your body is required on it.

	Sander

One day a tortoise will learn to fly
	-- Terry Pratchett, 'Small Gods'