Re: Is GNOME 2 dead ?

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 04:30:23PM +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> >   b) gnome_config_ isn't a config system, it's a .ini file parser.
> >      not a particular evil or harmful thing. I wouldn't add it
> >      today, but porting all our stuff away from gnome_config_
> >      is not going to happen for GNOME 2.
> >
> that would be really a pity. As I've said other times, I think we should
> force people to use bonobo-conf

If there is ever anything that will FORCE me to use a particular API I will
quit GNOME.  Well not really.  I will ignore that and use whatever API I
like.  Because, frankly, you can't force me.

People should choose the API they like because of it's merits.  If there are
people that don't like your API, it doesn't mean that they're simply wrong,
it means that perhaps your API has some faults which they value more highly
then you.  If you wish to design an API that everyone will use, design an API
everyone is happy with, not an API that you in particular think is supperior.
You'll probably end up with something that is actually supperior, not just
supperior for you.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>