Re: Is GNOME 2 dead ?

On Wed, 2001-08-29 at 18:03, Sander Vesik wrote:
> On 29 Aug 2001, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> > > Thous shalt eat nothing but red meat.
> > >
> > > I don't thing that 'forcing' idea would work.
> > >
> > well, I don't mean putting a gun in their head and say: "port to
> > bonobo-conf/GConf or I'll shoot".
> > In the same way, app developers are "forced" to drop imlib and use
> > gdk-pixbuf, also they're "half-forced" to use GObject instead of
> > GtkObject (half-forced because you can still use GtkObject in GNOME 2),
> > they're "forced" to drop m4 macros and use pkg-config, they're "forced"
> > to rename all their libraries to be able to install GNOME 1 and GNOME 2
> > versions of their libraries, and change all the headers installation
> > directories, etc, etc.
> >

> Encouraged to p[ort away from gnome_config?

yes, more or less

> > So, what I mean is: "here's the new super-cool configuration system for
> > GNOME, please use it, and drop your use of gnome_config as soon as you
> > can". And to help this, I would rename gnome_config to gnome_ini_file
> > (didn't I say that already? :-). If people want still to use
> > gnome_config, porting for them would just mean a
> > s/gnome_config/gnome_ini_file
> >

> Yes, but that still leaves them with the 'should I use gconf or should I
> use bonobo-config' question, which this whole discussion is about.

come on, again! I thought there was agreement on using bonobo-conf as
the means to access the database, and that bonobo-conf was going to use
GConf by default

Or are we starting again the same discussion? If so, I'll just code my
own simple config system for not having to be changing from GConf to
bonobo-conf (which I already did for gnome-db) and back until a decision
is made.

cheers