Re: Opinions on when to start Nautilus porting? - Evolution

Hi Zbigniew,

On Sat, 25 Aug 2001, Zbigniew Chyla wrote:
> On Fri, 2001-08-24 at 21:09:47, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > How does that sound ? scary ? exciting ? :-) I'll be looking at
> > starting to port Gal to Gnome 2.0 shortly - so we can start moving
> > evolution & alike things to Gnome 2.0 quickly.
>
> Have you changed your plans? Not so long ago I read in some
> announcement or email from Evo authors that Evolution 1.0 will be
> based on GNOME 1.x libraries.

        You heard correctly, and no there is no change of plans. Any
porting to Gnome 2.0 will happen after Evolution 1.0.

> IMHO porting to GNOME 2 is impossible with the current schedule.

        Correct. However it is certainly true that we can't move Evolution
to Gnome 2.0 quickly without first porting Gal.

        Furthermore, I'm relatively optimistic that we can do quite a good
job of porting Evolution rapidly to Gnome 2.0 - since many of the issues
that are addressed in Gnome 2.0 - utf-8 cleanliness, thread safe object
system etc. are also addressed in evolution; and I'm hoping that there is
a chance that we can at the same stroke increase code re-use drasticaly,
simplify the structure and prune chunks of gal out in favour of their glib
/ gtk+ equivalents.

        Sorry to cause confusion,

        Regards,

                Michael.