Re: compilation of gnome-1.4-rc1

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Ade Lovett wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 09:57:36AM -0800, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > Say WHAT?  scrollkeeper is not linux-only by -any- means.  In fact, Nik
> > (FreeBSD docs guy) has been quite helpful in designing scrollkeeper.
> > What ever made you think it was linux-only?
>
> It is in the placement of it's database.  /var/lib does not exist
> on FreeBSD, and is in violation of the hierarchy specification
> (man 7 hier on any FreeBSD box).  One possible option would be to
> use FreeBSD's /var/db, but there is no method for removing the 'lib'
> component, so it would appear as /var/db/lib/scrollkeeper.
>
> The fact that you can only set the top level location (/var by default),
> and that lib/scrollkeeper is automatically appended is just plain wrong.
>
> I've been talking to one of the authors about this.  IMO, the correct
> approach would be to not derive things from ${localstatedir} but to
> have an overrideable --with-dbdir=... configure option.  Add a --dbdir
> to scrollkeeper-config, then it simply doesn't matter where the database
> gets installed.

Laszlo, Ade, and I are discussing this on another (private) thread and
this should be trivially solved.

> In addition, ignoring all of the above, the port breaks at install
> time assuming that (I believe, it's been a few days) scrollkeeper-config
> is directly in the $PATH which may not be the case - I use chrooted
> environments for each individual port/package build to ensure that
> the application puts things in the right place.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here.  It sounds like you are
saying that ScrollKeeper uses some applications which it installs
(scrollkeeper-config) during the installation of the others, creating a
bootstrap problem.  I don't think this is happening, although it is
possible.  I just uninstalled scrollkeeper and then built an RPM from
source without problems.  I think this would have encountered the problem
you describe, although I could be wrong.

Could you send an email to the ScrollKeeper mailing list with a little
more detail, since that is the best forum for discussion of these details.
http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=11543

Dan