GNOME 1.4 Rel Eng Minutes - Jan 29, 2001

  Minutes for the GNOME 1.4 Release Committee meeting Jan 29, 2001

Present:
--------
  Maciej Stachowiak (co-coordinator of 1.4, chair)
  Jacob Berkman     (co-coordinator of 1.4)
  Ian Peters        (co-coordinator of "extra apps")
  Jamin Gray        (co-coordinator of "extra apps")
  Dan Mueth         (documentation, minutes)
  Karl Gaffney      (coordinator of QA)
  Kjartan Maraas    (translations)
  Michael Meeks     (guest, bonobo contributor)

Absent:
-------

Decisions:
----------
Will ship Sawfish as part of GNOME 1.4
Will move gmc into "extra apps".

Work Done:
----------
  ACTION: Maciej will send PR team 1.4 feature list and release schedule
          -> Done.
  ACTION: Maciej will set up GNOME 1.4 bugzilla
          -> Done.
  ACTION: Ian/Jamin will prepare announcment of "extra apps"
          -> Done.
  ACTION: Maciej will bring release schedule to the Board of Directors for
          approval
          -> Done.
  ACTION: Maciej to announce addition of xalf and sawfish
          -> Done.
  ACTION: Maciej will create "GNOME 1.4 Release Engineering" module in
          bugzilla.gnome.org
          -> Done.

Work in Progress/To Be Done:
----------------------------
  ACTION: Maciej will send Greg and Leslie a list of changes and features
          in GNOME 1.4
  ACTION: Greg and Leslie will create draft press release and send it to
          the Board of Directors and GNOME 1.4 Rel Eng Team
  ACTION: Jacob will branch gnome-core HEAD into gnome-core-1-4 and release
  ACTION: Maciej will get in touch with Miguel to coordinate possible
          bonobo branching
  ACTION: Karl will propose a QA process

Agenda Items Left For Next Meeting:
-----------------------------------
QA process
PR plan status
Release staging - how to get it to the mirrors before it gets to
  slashdot
GNOME 1.4.x releases.

Agenda:
-------
Library branch/freeze date:
  * The date was moved to 2/5 at Michael Meeks request
  * Michael Meeks does not want to branch bonobo, as it will be too
    much work.
  * Miguel will make final decision, although Michael will recommend
    it not be branched.

Beta1 schedule:
  * Set for 2/17
  * Packages must be submitted by 2/15
  * Maintainers should email gnome-i18n gnome org 2 days in advance
    so strings get translated.

Sawfish:
  * It is currently scheduled to be a core part of GNOME 1.4
  * Various opinions:
    * It is good to include it so we do QA on it
    * It is good to include it since it is considered part of the desktop
    * It is bad to choose the default (freedom of choice)
    * Now that we have the WM spec, we are free from potential dangers
      of choosing a default WM.
    * We will remain compatible with other WMs.
  * Decided to keep Sawfish as part of GNOME 1.4

GMC:
  * Should we ship it as a core part of GNOME 1.4 or in "extra apps"?
  * Nautilus performance is improving a lot.
  * GMC is unmaintained, and has been for quite some time
  * We still want to keep it around, just in case someone wants to use it
  * It should no longer permanently add itself to the session
  * The GMC mime types capplet should be renamed "GMC Files and Types"
  * It would be a lot of work to port it to using gnome-vfs mime types.
  * Decided to move into "extra apps".