Re: GNOME mirrors in general, and 1.4beta in particular

Ade Lovett <ade FreeBSD org> writes:

> Ok.  Let's try a wider audience.
>
> Is it just me or is (a) ftp.gnome.org completely nadgered and not
> letting anybody in? and (b) _none_ of the listed US/Canada mirror
> sites, as listed in the banner from ftp.gnome.org are actually useful?
>
> epoch.res.cmu.edu               doesn't exist in the DNS at all
> ftp.cybertrails.com             doesn't appear to have any GNOME at all
> ftp.snoopy.net                  totally out of date
> gnomeftp.blue-labs.org          apart from a 40k gnome-tgz.html, has nothing
> slave.opensource.captech.com    doesn't appear to exist in the DNS
> rpmfind.net                     stalled with about 80% of the sourceballs
> download.sourceforge.net        totally out of date
>
> This would seem to be a little less than optimal.

Our mirror setup is badly broken. We are working on improving it. The
number one thing that would help would be a volunteer to help with the
work. We are considering a setup where the current ftp.gnome.org
becomes master.gnome.org and only feeds the mirrors, and fto.gnome.org
is just a primary mirror.

We also need help getting contact info for the existing mirroirs, and
pruning inactive ones from the list.

Any volunteers?

 - Maciej