Re: Please test compile the staging area for the beta

Ade Lovett <ade FreeBSD org> writes:

> On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 02:10:26PM -0800, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> >
> > ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/stable/staging/gnome-1.4beta1-STAGING
>
> Well, actually being able to get on to ftp.gnome.org seems to
> be practically impossible at the moment, and the mirrors are way
> out of sync with each other.

I am still trying to figure out how to actually contact the
maintainers of the mirror sites. Is there a mailing list anywhere?
Does anyone know?

> > gnome-pim
>
> Since this is staying instead of evolution, what about the existing
> (optional) gnome-pilot support for gnome-pim?

Eskil did not want gnome-pilot in the main GNOME release, so we are
putting it in the extra apps relese. Yes, it is somewhat weird for the
main release to have an optional dependency on something in the extra
apps release, but oh well.

> > nautilus
>
> Since I've never seen this working on anything other than a GNU/Linux
> machine (yes, it's in bugzilla, yes, it's being worked on, and no,
> I doubt it will be fixed 'in time') this could be problematical.

The current list of reference platforms for GNOME 1.4 is:

Debian GNU/Linux 2.2r2 (`potato') on x86
FreeBSD 4.1.1 on x86
Linux-Mandrake 7.2 x86
Red Hat Linux 7.0 on x86
Red hat Linux 6.2 on x86
Solaris 8 on SPARC
SuSE Linux 7.1 on x86

The criteria for a reference platform are that all software must
compile and must run without immediately crashing. If these criteria
are not met, we will hold the 1.4 final release.

For platforms not on this list, or for other platform-specific bugs,
the responsibility is on the folks in charge of the platform to
provide fixes or convince maintainers to fix this.

Reference platforms were selected on the basis of expected user base
and desire to have some amount of cross-section of the different
platforms out there.

Perhaps for future GNOME releases, the set of reference platforms may
be extended (one notable omission is LinuxPPC).

> Certainly at the current time, the FreeBSD GNOME 1.4 will have to
> have gmc dropped in here instead.

It will sadly still be broken for the beta, but I think given the
release criteria, this is not the case. I also think all the major
FreeBSD issues are fixed on CVS HEAD of nautilus and gnome-vfs.

If they aren't yet, I'm sure the Nautilus team would appreicate all
the help they could get, and would particularly welcome patches. We
would also appreciate help testing our fixes.

 - Maciej