Re: grdb into gnome-1.4 (or at least gnome CVS) ?

On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 09:58:36PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> I don't know what the specific patch was, so.

That's because I haven't posted it yet. :)

Basically, it adds :
void gnome_font_picker_set_filter (GnomeFontPicker *gfp,
                                   GtkFontFilterType filter_type,
                                   GtkFontType       font_type,
                                   gchar           **foundries,
                                   gchar           **weights,
                                   gchar           **slants,
                                   gchar           **setwidths,
                                   gchar           **spacings,
                                   gchar           **charsets);

Which takes the same args and eventually just calls
gtk_font_selection_dialog_filter().

In the grdb capplet, I needed to be able to choose just fixed fonts.

Right now, I just derive a class from gnome-font-picker and it
works, so its not a big deal.

Just thought its a handy feature and wanted to share.

I'll keep the patch around for gnome 2.0, I guess. When bigger things
will break :)

> The issue is essentially that if you use new functions, you end up
> with binaries that require GNOME 1.4 instead of GNOME 1.2. This can
> create problems for distributing binaries to lots of different
> distributions, since GNOME 1.2 may be more widely deployed.
> Also, there are QA issues, clearly substantial hacking on gnome-libs
> will tend to decrease its known stability.

This makes way too much sense.

Where I currently work, anytime we move up a version, we're allowed to
break whatever we want: until it goes into the field. At that point,
we guarantee binary compat. across that one version. But its a much
more controlled environment.  (We upgrade our clients ourselves if they
need new functionality, and we upgrade all the software to the same version
at once)

Anyway, I'll probably post the patch to gnome-devel out of stubborness.
Actually, I'm reinstalling my system soon, and even though I've got
several backups, I'd feel better knowing the patch is in a mailing
archive somewhere.

Thanks for the information though. My modem finally connected,
so I'll stop babbling now and send the darn email.

Sam