Re: grdb into gnome-1.4 (or at least gnome CVS) ?

Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@eazel.com> writes:
> shunter@bigsky.net writes:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 05:14:57PM -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> >
> > > GNOME 1.4 will be 100% source and binary comptible with 1.2.
> >
> > OK. I take this to mean backwards compatible. :) Hopefully adding
> > a completely new function will OK. If not, such is life. I'll
> > send that patch this weekend too.
>
> I don't know if adding functions is OK. I invite Havoc, our top flamer
> on the topic of compatibility, to comment.

LOL ;-)

I don't know what the specific patch was, so.

In the past what's happened is that we have added functions to
gnome-libs, but I have flamed about it a lot.

We do not add functions to GLib/GTK+ and the GTK maintainers consider
this the right thing.

The issue is essentially that if you use new functions, you end up
with binaries that require GNOME 1.4 instead of GNOME 1.2. This can
create problems for distributing binaries to lots of different
distributions, since GNOME 1.2 may be more widely deployed.
Also, there are QA issues, clearly substantial hacking on gnome-libs
will tend to decrease its known stability.

I don't know the right answer.

Havoc