Re: GNOME 1.4 extra apps coordinators

> On Sat, Oct 21, 2000 at 08:45:52PM -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> > Jim Garrison <garrison users sourceforge net> writes:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Are there still going to be gnome-games-extra and gnome-applets-extra?  If
> > > people think it's a good idea, I would be willing to collect the resources
> > > necessary to make these packages and maintain one or both of them.
> > >

> > gnome-applets-extras sounds like a good idea to me (maybe some applets
> > from gnome-applets could migrate there even). gnome-games-extra sounds
> > redundant, we could just include a number of individual games in the
> > extra distribution.
>
> I'm not sure what to do about the GNOME applets situation -- we
> currently ship a large number of applets in the GNOME applets package,
> and I think Maciej is write that some of these should be broken out.
>
> However, if we are going to ship extra applets, I'm definitely against
> shipping them in one large bunch called gnome-applets-extra.  Ship
> them individually, so that users can choose which to install.
>
> Regarding games -- I'm also the GNOME games maintainer, and I think
> that we currently ship more than enough small, simple games in the
> gnome-games package.  If additional games have been written and are
> ready to be released, they can, individually, be part of the extra
> apps release.

Ian, sorry about this not having an attribution line for you, but
Evolution doesn't seem to think that's necessary (I'll go bugzilla in a
minute).
I'm all for the GNOME "core" releases to be for applications that are
necessary for just about every user of the GNOME desktop.  As
gnome-applets and gnome-games are part of this GNOME "core", they should
be a brief set of almost universally useful applets, and perhaps the
"most popular" games.  It should be feasible to have other "sets" of
GNOME games and applets that are released about the same time as the
"core" of GNOME, but these would basically just be a list of a set of
individual packages, or a "meta" package for those who are using Debian.
While I'm at it, I'd like to see the software map done in a similar
fasion, as the current categories suck.  Why not break them up the way
that they appear on the main menu, or by some criteria with less
overlap?  I know this isn't a 1.4 issue, but it goes along with some of
the issues that have been raised here.  While I'm at it,  selecting
applications is going to become part of the duties of the GNOME
foundation's board, if I read that correctly.  I'd like to see the
discussions remain open, and on dedicated lists like this one, so that
all parties can have their say.
Thanks for your time,

    Greg