Re: [gnet] Fwd: "make check" failed two tests & asked me to notify you.

Dennis Newbold <dennisne gmail com> wrote :

Hi Dennis,

thanks for bringing this to our attention.

> I tried building the latest gnet (2.0.7) on my Linux
> system. "make check" resulted  in some errors, and
> advised me to notify gnet gnetlibrary org  When I
> did so, I got the automatic reject message shown below.
> Please advise as to where I should send my message.
> (Also, it would be a courtesy to others if you could

> After building from the sources  (./configure ; make)
> I ran make check. Two of the tests failed, and it asked
> me to email you about it, so I am.  Shown below is the
> output from "make check".  Before pasting it in, though,
> a  few details:
>
>  1. System:  Ubuntu Linux, based on "Badger" Debian Linux
>  2. uname -a output:
>     Linux ubuntu-dln 2.6.12-9-386 #1 Mon Oct 10 13:14:36 BST 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
>  3. config.guess output:  i686-pc-linux-gnu
>
>  (snip)
>
> here's the output from "make check"
>   (...)
> GET (html)                 OK
> GET (binary)               OK
> POST                       OK
> Redirect (same host)       FAILED
> Redirect (different host)  OK
> gnet_http_get()            OK
>
> ** ERROR **: file conn_http_test.c: line 506 (main): assertion failed:
> (get_ok && binget_ok && post_ok && redir1_ok && redir2_ok &&
> urlget_ok)
> aborting...
> /bin/sh: line 1: 32600 Aborted                 ${dir}$tst
> FAIL: conn_http_test
> PASS: hash_test
> PASS: inetaddr_test
> PASS: ipv6_test
> PASS: pack_test
> PASS: unpack_test
> 7 escape is correct: FAIL
> FAIL: uri_test
> =====================================
> 2 of 8 tests failed
> Please report to gnet gnetlibrary org

The uri_test failure should be fixed in GNet CVS (only happens with gcc versions >= 3.3 or 3.4 or so)

Failures in the conn-http check are not necessarily serious, as those tests are rather fragile. A failure  here doesn't necessarily indicate that there's anything wrong with the code tested, it could fail or yield unexpected results for a lot of other reasons (e.g. mirror setups, differences in DNS resolution, changes in the server set up etc. For what it's worth, it works fine here). Possibly it's also something that's already fixed in CVS.

> Please advise as to current usability of GNET library.

GNet is very usable and fairly well-tested in general. The conn-http module is marked as 'experimental' though, as it has had less testing than other parts of GNet.

> Also, if there is any additional information you need,
> or tests I can run.

It would be great if you could give the CVS version a shot and run 'make test' there.

Cheers
 -Tim