[gnet-dev] Future of GNet

GNet developers,

I'm looking a new lead developer / maintainer of GNet. Ideally, this person would be an existing GNet user who has experience using autoconf, automake, CVS, and those sort of development tools. But interest is the only requirement.

The reason I'm looking for a new maintainer is that I no longer use GNet and haven't for at least two years. There's no longer anything driving me to fix bugs or make improvements, as there were in the early years, so it's fallen to the bottom of my to-do list. I regret and apologize not looking for a new maintainer much earlier.

I don't know where GNet should go in the future. It met most of my goals back in version 1.1. My original thought then was that it could eventually be folded into GLib. This is still possible, but I haven't discussed this with the GLIb developers for several years. It could also remain a separate library and with bugs occasionally fixed and patches occasionally applied. This is how we've operated for the last two years and I think this is fine for a small, stable library like this.

If no one volunteers, development will continue like it has been - every few months I'll go through the emails and apply any patches I think are needed, commit to CVS, and possibly make a snapshot. I'm fine with this, but I expect many people would want faster turn-around.

Let me know what you think. I've rejoined #gnet on irc.gimp.org if anyone wants to chat.

Thanks,
David

--
David Helder - dhelder gizmolabs org - http://www.gizmolabs.org/~dhelder