Re: [gnet-dev] 1.1.9: misplaced gnetconfig.h

On Mon, 19 May 2003, insecure wrote:
> On Saturday 17 May 2003 20:00, David Helder wrote:
> > That's correct - gnetconfig.h should go into lib/gnet/include.
> > gnet-config/pkg-config will handle this properly.  glib does the same
> > thing.
>
> With all respect I have to disagree.
>
> On a practital grounds, when I tried to compile a program
> against gnet, it's configure script failed to find gnetconfig.h
> until I moved in into correct (IMHO) include/ directory.

What program?  It probably isn't using gnet-config/pkg-config correctly.

> On a theoretical grounds, I see a lot of sense in clean separation
> between files of distinctly separate types. lib/ directories are meant
> to contain C/C++ libraries only. *.h files go to include/. I fight
> with lib/ pollution on my machine and must say it works - most
> packages either do a right thing from the start (even large ones like
> KDE) or can be 'persuaded' into it ;)
>
> Of course if there is some deep reason why gnetconfig.h
> should go into lib/, feel free to enlighten me.

Because GLib does it and we're trying to be consistent with them. GLib
does it because glibconfig.h is generated at compile time and is
architecture dependent.  The idea is that only architecture independent
files should go into $prefix/include.

See:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2003-January/msg00089.html

You can relocate it to the include directory and it shouldn't cause any
problems.  For example, FreeBSD seems to put the glibconfig.h in
prefix/include/gnet.

David

--
David Helder - dhelder umich edu - <http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~dhelder>