Re: [gnet] Help with autoconf & gnet [SUCCESS!] [LONG]

[LONG]

Firstly, thank you for your patience and advices, David, Andy and
Ferlatte. As you know I was coding some net extensions to a Gnome
application named Goats, using Gnet, and I was able to compile at hand
... but I was in problems trying to "create" a configure/make/make
install script.

This was my original Message:
27-Dec   chessy diariolinux com

[snip]

I can't make a clean ./configure, I always get this error:

./configure: line 4418: syntax error near unexpected token
`AM_PATH_GNET(1.0.4,'

./configure: line 4418: `AM_PATH_GNET(1.0.4,'

It's a bit odd that the only "extraneous" line of code in ./configure is
this:

AM_PATH_GNET(1.0.4,
 LIBS="$LIBS $GNET_LIBS" CFLAGS="$CFLAGS $GNET_CFLAGS",
 { echo "configure: error: Cannot find GNet: Is gnet-config in path?"
1>&2; exit 1; })

[snip]

On these days there were message from David, Andy and Ferlatte...

What happens today....

8-Jan-2002

[root bisho goats-0.5]# aclocal
aclocal: configure.in: 23: macro `AM_ACLOCAL_INCLUDE' not found in
library
[root bisho goats-0.5]# aclocal --version
aclocal (GNU automake) 1.4-p5

Errr... ok, let's try David's posible fix:

[chessy bisho goats-0.5]$ export ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I /usr/share/aclocal/"
[chessy bisho goats-0.5]$ aclocal
aclocal: configure.in: 23: macro `AM_ACLOCAL_INCLUDE' not found in
library

"Sorry, try again!" ;-)
After some Google digging....

[chessy bisho goats-0.5]$ aclocal -I macros
[chessy bisho goats-0.5]$ autoconf
[chessy bisho goats-0.5]$ ./configure
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gnome-config... /usr/bin/gnome-config
checking if /usr/bin/gnome-config works... yes
checking for orbit-config... /usr/bin/orbit-config
checking for orbit-idl... /usr/bin/orbit-idl
checking for working ORBit environment... yes
checking for gnorba libraries... yes
checking applets library ... -rdynamic -lpanel_applet -lgnorba
-lORBitCosNaming -lORBit -lIIOP -lORBitutil -lnsl -lgnomeui -lart_lgpl
-lgdk_imlib -lSM -lICE -lgtk -lgdk -lgmodule -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lgnome
-lgnomesupport -lesd -laudiofile -lm -ldb1 -lglib -ldl
found checking for strerror in -lcposix... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking what warning flags to pass to the C compiler... -Wall -Wunused
checking what language compliance flags to pass to the C compiler...
checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
checking for gtk-config... /usr/bin/gtk-config
checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.0... yes
checking for SmcSaveYourselfDone in -lSM... yes
checking for X11/SM/SMlib.h... yes
checking for XpmFreeXpmImage in -lXpm... yes
configure: error: can not run ./config.sub

After some miraculous Google searching....

[chessy bisho goats-0.5]$ automake -a
automake: configure.in: installing `./config.guess'
automake: configure.in: installing `./config.sub'

Yeah!!!!

[...]
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for working const... yes
checking for inline... inline
checking for off_t... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking for working alloca.h... yes
checking for alloca... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for getpagesize... yes
checking for working mmap... yes
checking whether we are using the GNU C Library 2.1 or newer... yes
checking for argz.h... yes
checking for limits.h... yes
checking for locale.h... yes
checking for nl_types.h... yes
checking for malloc.h... yes
checking for stddef.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/param.h... yes
checking for feof_unlocked... yes
checking for fgets_unlocked... yes
checking for getcwd... yes
checking for getegid... yes
checking for geteuid... yes
checking for getgid... yes
checking for getuid... yes
checking for mempcpy... yes
checking for munmap... yes
checking for putenv... yes
checking for setenv... yes
checking for setlocale... yes
checking for stpcpy... yes
checking for strchr... yes
checking for strcasecmp... yes
checking for strdup... yes
checking for strtoul... yes
checking for tsearch... yes
checking for __argz_count... yes
checking for __argz_stringify... yes
checking for __argz_next... yes
checking for iconv... yes
checking for iconv declaration...
         extern size_t iconv (iconv_t cd, char * *inbuf, size_t
*inbytesleft, char * *outbuf, size_t *outbytesleft);
checking for nl_langinfo and CODESET... yes
checking for LC_MESSAGES... yes
checking whether NLS is requested... yes
checking whether included gettext is requested... no
checking for libintl.h... yes
checking for GNU gettext in libc... yes
checking for dcgettext... yes
checking for msgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for gmsgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for xgettext... /usr/bin/xgettext
checking for bison... bison
checking version of bison... 1.28, ok
checking for catalogs to be installed...  ko ja
checking for gnet-config... /usr/bin/gnet-config
checking for GNET - version >= 1.0.4... no
*** Could not run GNet test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log
for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GNet was incorrectly
installed
*** or that you have moved GNet since it was installed. In the latter
case, you
*** may want to edit the gnet-config script: /usr/bin/gnet-config
configure: error: Cannot find GNet: Is gnet-config in path?

[chessy bisho goats-0.5]$

After some stare at the source code of configure and some trial & error
I have to disallow a gnettest ... (any clues?):

[chessy bisho goats-0.5]$ ./configure --disable-gnettest

now works flawlessly!!!

[chessy bisho goats-0.5]$ make

[chessy bisho goats-0.5]$ su

[chessy bisho goats-0.5]# make install

[chessy bisho goats-0.5]$ goats &

WoW!!!! Thank you very much for your support!!! I've finally finished
one Gnome/GTK project!!!