Re: [gmime-devel] Porting code from gmime 2.6 to 3.0

Hi Casper,

Thanks for reaching out. Let me try to answer your questions...

On 4/30/2018 6:43 PM, Casper Langemeijer wrote:
I'm making an attempt to rewrite dbmail from using gmime 3.0 instead of 2.6.

So far I think I'm making good progress, but I can't seem to figure out how to deal the following issue.

dbmail has:
g_mime_init(GMIME_ENABLE_RFC2047_WORKAROUNDS);
I cannot find any old documentation about what that meant.

What that did was it made the rfc2047 parser/decoder less strict in its tokenizing of headers such that the more common buglets that mail software had could be more easily worked around.

I'm assuming the 3.0 equivalent of this must be
g_mime_parser_options_set_rfc2047_compliance_mode(options, GMIME_RFC_COMPLIANCE_LOOSE) or g_mime_parser_options_set_rfc2047_compliance_mode(options, GMIME_RFC_COMPLIANCE_STRICT)

but which one is it?

You were definitely on the right track! The setting you are looking for is the LOOSE value.

That being said, the default values for all parser compliance settings is LOOSE, so you don't need to actually mess with that.

That also means that you can pass NULL as the 'options' argument to all of the GMime API's that take a GMimeParserOptions parameter.

I'm not sure if dbmail uses the old g_mime_set_user_charsets() APIs or not, but if it does, the GMimeParserOptions is where to set those fallback charsets now. I figured I'd mention that since that might not be super obvious.

If you have any more questions, let me know and I'll try to help you out,