Re: [gmime-devel] Encoding headers: Is UTF-8 a sane default now?

I'd be happy to remove more of them, I just want to be careful about doing that until we get data for those regions that the iso charsets have been deprecated and/or we know that the vast majority of clients used by users in those regions support UTF-8.

Well if it's any indication, Geary seems to have a number of users from around the world and while it always sends message bodies as UTF-8 I haven't been able to find a bug complaining about that. In fact, this issue of sending headers not using UTF-8 is the only thing I have heard.

I might try taking a look into what Evolution and Thunderbird do. MimeKit (my .NET equivalent of GMime) also defaults to UTF-8 for anything other than iso-8859-1 and there have been no complaints yet and I know there are people using it around the globe, but it also has a better API allowing developers to override the charset being used (i.e. not a cumbersome set_user_charsets() API), so for all I know, people could be using that - but based on my experience with people generally sticking to defaults, probably not... which does lend credibility to the idea that we could probably get away with just using UTF-8 and dropping the charset table.

Dropping the charset table also has the benefit of reducing the code-size of libgmime.so by a not-insignificant amount, which I am totally in favor of.