[gmime-devel] gmime tags: GMIME_2_6_20 -> GMIME_2.6.20?

Hi gmime folks--

I notice that gmime's git repository has tags of the form GMIME_2_6_20.
I suspect this is a legacy from systems like CVS where tag names could
not include a dot (.).

With git, tags can have . in them.  It would make my life a little bit
easier as a packager [0] to have the version string explicitly
represented as 2.6.20 in the tag, where possible.  What do you think
about moving to a "GMIME_2.6.20" style of tag for future releases?

I recognize this is not of crucial importance, but if there are no
reasons to keep the old pattern besides inertia, maybe a change is
acceptable?

Regards,

        --dkg

PS i see some activity in git, but no new release in a while.  Is there
   a plan for a new release any time soon?

[0] https://bugs.debian.org/7780679