Re: [gmime-devel] pgp inline encrypt/decrypt support

That is very nice Jeff, thank you.
It makes sense to try and implement it on the mail client side.
I'll see what I can do from that perspective.

Jeffrey Stedfast <fejj gnome org> writes:

Hi Dan,

Honestly I'm not sure that GMime is the best place to implement inline
PGP support. Realistically, what you'll probably want to do is to just
pipe text/plain content through some sort of inline PGP
detector/decryptor/verifyer when the text goes to be rendered for the
user. This is really best done in the mail client itself, I think.

Something that neither of the URLs that Daniel linked you to, which I
hope you think about when implementing decryption support, is the fact
that you literally have no clue what kind of data you'll get when you
decrypt that blob. When I was working on Evolution, I recall having bugs
reported about zip files being in the encrypted blobs and we would
render what looked like complete garbage since we'd try to render binary
data as text. I think this type of situation is rare, but it's something
to take note of.

I'm willing to look at proposals for including this in GMime (perhaps
you can come up with an elegant way of doing it that would fit nicely),
but I *think* it's probably best done in individual clients since piping
data through gpg is the easy part (especially now that we have libraries
like libgpgme), the hard part is finding a way to display that to the
user and/or figuring out what to do with decrypted data once you've
decrypted it, and then splicing it back in with the surrounding text
content. None of that can really be done in GMime itself.

Jeff