From: Jeffrey Stedfast [mailto:fejj novell com]
Sent: Thu 2/25/2010 8:06 PM
To: Junping Zhang
Cc: gmime-devel-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [gmime-devel] help on "message/rfc822" with base64 encoding

On 02/25/2010 04:44 PM, Junping Zhang wrote:

> Jeff,
>
>   I am using gmime-2.4.11, and it doesn't seem to handle message
> attachment case like this:

>     <base64-encoded-plain-text-message-here>
>

>   In this case, after constructing the message with the GMimeParser
> from an .EML file, after
>      GMimeMessage *gm_msg = g_mime_message_part_get_message(gm_msg_part);
> I can't retrieve the regular properties from the message object.
>
>   This case itself is rather rare, and I don't know if the
> "attachment" disposition should
> overwrite "message/rfc822" and make it a regular attachment. But I
> think in this case the
> problem is with the non-7-bit encoding that usually goes with
> "message/rfc822" type, which
> is not too rare.

This is unsupported by GMime as it is expressly forbidden in rfc2045 and
since I have never ever come across any messages that do this in the
wild, it was assumed that this sort of message did not occur in the wild
either.

from rfc2045:

   Certain Content-Transfer-Encoding values may only be used on certain
   media types.  In particular, it is EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN to use any
   encodings other than "7bit", "8bit", or "binary" with any composite
   media type, i.e. one that recursively includes other Content-Type
   fields.  Currently the only composite media types are "multipart" and
   "message".  All encodings that are desired for bodies of type
   multipart or message must be done at the innermost level, by encoding
   the actual body that needs to be encoded.

What mail client(s) are actually exhibiting this behavior?