[gmime-devel] 2.6 development has commenced

I've begun hacking on GMime 2.6.x on 'master' and created a gmime-2-4
branch for continued 2.4.x bug fixage.

A couple of things:

- 2.6 is breaking API/ABI again; this is because I somehow missed that
g_mime_stream_length() was returning an ssize_t instead of a 64bit
integer which means it's broken for large files.

- Since 2.6 is going to break API/ABI, I'm going to use the opportunity
to add a feature that Alex Hudson from the Bongo project has requested
which will add some header/content offset members to GMimeObject. I may
also seal this struct off to make it easier to extend in the future
without breaking API/ABI again. We'll see...

- I'm also going to drop GMimeSession which is only used for passphrase
requests and instead just allow developers to set some callbacks on a
GMimeCipherContext instead. Ideas for what this should look like are
welcome, I'd love to hear them! I want to make this simpler to use than
it is today, GMimeSession sucks and has got to go.

- Does anyone have any requirements as far as GLib versions go?
Currently GMime 2.4 depends on GLib 2.12 and there have been requests to
add GIO-based streams to GMime which would require GLib >= 2.16 but I
don't want to force that GLib requirement unless everyone is ok with it.

- Do you guys want streams (and the parser) to take GCancellable and/or
GError arguments to read/write/seek/etc? Does anyone have a better
suggestion on what the API should be for getting stream errors and/or
making them cancellable? (I hesitate to add 2 more args to stream
functions because it would make the API kinda annoying imho, but I'd
still love to have the functionality).