Re: [gmime-devel] GMime 2.4.0 released

On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 22:03 -0400, Peter Bloomfield wrote:
> Hi Jeff:
>
> On 09/25/2008 09:01:30 PM Thu, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> > and wouldn't you know... /now/ I find an API/ABI problem :(
> >
> > g_mime_stream_length() should return a gint64 but it returns ssize_t
> > which is insufficient for LARGEFILE support :(
> >
> > damn.
> >
> > Oh well, that API hopefully doesn't get used that often... or people can
> > implement their own substitute using seek()
>
> Timing--that's the way folks feel about picking up Lehman stock at a
> 'bargain' price!

hah! ;-)

> Balsa is most likely to see large files in the mbox backend, which doesn't
> use  g_mime_stream_length(), so it's probably not an issue for us.  In
> anticipation of an API change, would you suggest that, where we do use it,
> we handle the return value as a gint64?

Well, I probably won't break the API(/ABI) for the lifespan of 2.4, but
yea - if you do find the need to use it, using a gint64 is probably the
way to go.

Anything that needs to know file offsets or sizes should be using 64bit
ints these days if you want to support large files.

I'm gonna be smacking myself for overlooking that. It's a pretty gross
hack to use that method for anything other than a GMimeStreamMem anyway
(which should fit a 32bit length).