Troubleshooting external PostgreSQL login fail

I am trying to start a new project with the "Music Collection" template with and external PostgreSQL server.
The server is running on the same workstation.  The PostgreSQL connection fails and this message is in
the PostgreSQL log.

2013-06-05 10:09:20 MDT FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "craig"

I am entering the password for database role craig (encrypted password on PostgreSQL)

How can I trouble shoot this?

Using a local database works fine, but I prefer to have the database on the server proper.

Thanks.