An alternative to the list/details notebook tabs?

Glom's main window uses notebook tabs for switching between details and
list. But the notebook can't be right up against the edge of the window,
so we then waste several pixels at the left and right of the window:
http://www.glom.org/wiki/index.php?title=Screenshots#The_List_View

Can anyone suggest an alternative? I worry that putting it in a menu
would make it harder for people to understand Glom. I'm also not sure
that a combo box would be much clearer because it would only show one
choice at a time.

Two toggle boxes would look rather strange, but it's the best I can
think of myself.

--
murrayc openismus com