Re: How to deal with a phone number field ?

Hello guys,

Yes, I'm using sqlite and Glom under Windows Vista. So, should I bug report this issue ?

Thanks for your attention,

Kurt Kraut

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 6:48 PM, Armin Burgmeier <armin arbur net> wrote:
On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 17:53 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 12:59 -0200, Arq. Maximiliano Meilán wrote:
> > Confirmed with Glom 1.8.5, Ubuntu 8.10
> > When reach the seven digit, Glom leaves the decimal format.
> > Aritmetical operations works fine, even using diferent formats.
> >

> > El mar, 20-01-2009 a las 18:25 -0200, Kurt Kraut escribió:
> > > Hi,
> > >

> > > I'm trying to build a personal contact database, with fields like
> > > Name, Address, E-mail, Phone Number, Cell phone etc. I'd like to allow
> > > only numbers to be typed in the 'Phone number'
>
> That's unwise. + is a meaningful part of many phone numbers. And people
> really like using spaces and brackets.
>
> >  (to avoid typos and
> > > future incompatabilities)  field. Unfortunately, when I input phone
> > > numbers like '12345678' it is converted to '1.23457e+07'.
>
> That's not nice regardless of whether it's for a phone number, so I'll
> investigate. Please open a bug if I forget.

Are you using sqlite? With sqlite, numbers are currently stored as
"real" type (equivelant double in C++) in the database, which may lead
to a notation such as '1.23457e+07'.

Maybe we'll have to do something else to implement Glom's numeric type
with sqlite (sqlite has only types for "integer" and "real", and Glom
currently uses real because it can't guess whether a numeric type is
meant as being integral one or not).

Armin