Re: Importing CSV files

I think that Import into tables in the File menu is better. Its the
usual place for other software, and refers more to data than tables.
Maximiliano

El mar, 13-05-2008 a las 23:24 +0200, Armin Burgmeier escribió:
On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 16:48 +0200, Armin Burgmeier wrote:
I'm starting to implement importing CSV files into glom tables. There is
a rough UI mockup at http://arbur.net/stuff/importcsv.png. Do people
think more/other options are required? Perhaps always the current table
should be used, so the "Import Into Table:" field can be removed.

When the "First line as title" checkbutton is not checked, then the
treeview headers can simply be removed. The TreeView itself shows some
example rows and lets the user associate the fields in the CSV file to
fields in the Glom table. It's perhaps a bit more complicated to
implement than a vertical view, but I think it's more convenient this
way and so probably worth the effort.

Are there other comments/suggestions concerning the planned UI?

I also had a look at GdaDataModelImport, but it does not seem to support
progressive loading, which I think is necessary for importing big files
without blocking the UI and showing progress bars.

I just committed an initial version of CSV file importing. I added a
"Insert Into Table" menu item to the Tables menu, though it is perhaps
better to have that menu item elsewhere (Export is in the File menu).

Probably more encodings need to be added. I could copy the list from
gedit.

I did not use GdaDataModelImport for now so that the file can already
started to be parsed while not having been fully read yet. I'm not sure
this is necessary for average use (although perhaps nice for large files
on slow (network?) drives), but the GIO API makes it easy to implement
anyway.

Feedback is very much appreciated.

Armin