Re: Columns count in layout.

On Tue, 2008-12-23 at 11:00 -0200, Carlos Savoretti wrote:
Hi Murray!

Studying glom code I've found that columns count appears
in several grouping elements such as data_layout_group,
data_layout_notebook, data_layout_portal, etc.

Are you talking about the XML format, or about particular C++ classes?

Of course this has full sense for a data_layout_group
(saw as frames) but changing "columns count" in
notebooks/portals has no effect at all in glom 1.6.17
(Fedora).
So, is it a TODO ? Do it remain in the DTD but it
has no use ?, or I don't get what is it for ?.

I can't imagine what meaning columns could have in notebooks or portals.
You would put a group inside a notebook and the group would have
columns, much like a GtkBox has many children, but a GtkWindow has only
one child.

I would welcome any correction to the DTD (which is currently just used
for documentation).

I make this question because I'm trying to include
into libgnomedb the ability to set a layout
such as glom do (BTW I use glom files) and I think
that kind of "automatic" layout is a great idea...

That's a great idea. I'd love to just use libgnomedb one day and remove
code from Glom.

Note that the flowing columned container widget is a separate problem in
itself. I'd love to see that in GTK+, but it really needs the
height-for-width "enhanced" layout system to be finally committed.

Thanks in advance...

Carlos Savoretti.

PS. Sorry to insist but I'm polishing this part
of the code and I would need to know this to go
on.  BTW here I send you some screenshots showing
how it looks...