Re: Avahi support for Glom

On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 14:15 +0200, Mathias Hasselmann wrote:
Am Donnerstag, den 25.10.2007, 13:12 +0200 schrieb Murray Cumming:
On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 12:52 +0200, Mathias Hasselmann wrote:
Hello,

I was investigating Avahi support for Glom yesterday and want to hear opinions now.

An obvious solution would use a TCP/IP enabled DBus server announcing
Glom databases available on a computer. To let other Glom instances
find that "Glom Broker" it would announce itself via Avahi.

What would be the advantage of a separate broker to do this? The Glom
client would use avahi to discover the broker and then ask the broke for
the running Glom servers. Why not just use avahi to discover the running
Glom servers directly?

Just can say: "Duh, that easy". I knew the broker was quite wrong,
that's why I came up with the Postgresql variant.

So Glom sharing will look like that:

- After contacting its Postgresql Server, each Glom instance launches a
TCP/IP server for sharing configuration data and announces it via Avahi.

- Glom instances that want to use a remote instance of Glom find them
via Avahi, get the configuration file via the TCP/IP server and then
directly talk to the Postgresql server listed in the configuration file.

More elobarated description that protocol can be found in the attached
diagram.

Yeah, it can be that simple. By the way, the sequence diagrams aren't
really necessary to help me understand, but it's fine if it helps you.
You might put them in the Glom wiki, for instance here:
http://www.glom.org/wiki/index.php?title=Development/Plans/Networked_Glom

(The text on that page might not be very useful. Feel free to ignore
it.)