Glom's Edit, compile, debug cycle

Hiyas,

I have built glom using jhbuild.

I make some changes to connectionpool.cc
I run make, it compiles connectionpool.cc, and then links.

Now if I run glom/.libs/glom using a debugger. My changes aren't
present. Even though glom/.libs/glom timestamp has been updated.

If I run the bash script, glom/glom it re-links (why?), and then my
changes are present. But I can't feed a bash script to the debugger.

How does one edit, compile, debug glom?
I really don't want to make install after every change.

--
Craig Keogh