Re: glom problems

On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 09:29 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 17:40 -0800, Ryan Paul wrote:
I was able to create a database, add a table, and add fields to the table,
but that is all it will allow me to do. It would not allow me to set field
values,

I've never heard of this before. Did you see any kind of error dialog or
anything on the terminal (if you start it from the terminal). You should
see an error dialog if any of the (generated) SQL commands failed.

No error dialogs of any kind appeared, and it doesn't look like there
are any SQL related errors or warning messages on the terminal. I have
attached a file with the terminal output.

How did you notice it. Was it impossible to enter text into an Entry, or
did you enter text and then see it disappear again when switching views
or tables?

It was impossible to input text into the entry.

Did you try the example file? What version of Postgres are you using?

Your small business example seems to work perfectly. I'm using version
7.4 of postgres.

Did you create the user like so?:
murrayc$ sudo -s -u postgres
Password:
bash-3.00$ createuser -P
  (-P means "assign password")
Enter name of user to add: murrayc
Enter password for new user:
Enter it again:
Shall the new user be allowed to create databases? (y/n) y
Shall the new user be allowed to create more new users? (y/n) y

Did you answer y to both questions?

I didn't do it exactly that way, but the way I did it should have the
same exact affect:

% sudo -u postgres createuser -a -d -P

Glom does create the database, so I don't think that the way I created
the user is the problem.

If you can, I recommend the 0.9.8 version. It has some important fixes,
though nothing that I think could affect this problem.

Version 0.9.8 made it into the Dapper repository this morning and I just
tested it. I am having the same problem with it.

 so I switched from the Developer user level to the Operator user
level. At the Operator user level, it still will not allow me to set
field values, and it will also not permit me to return to the Developer
user level. When I attempt to, I get the following message:

"Developer mode is not available. Check that you have sufficient
database access rights and that the glom file is not read-only."

Maybe you could try with the psql command-line tool, to double-check
that you really have write rights.

I wrote a simple python script and I was able to insert data into the
actual database with it, so I don't think it's a permission thing.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

--
Ryan Paul <segphault sbcglobal net>