Re: date bug solution

On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 09:34 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
Yes, the problem is when these differeing LANG and LANGUAGE settings.
Somehow you have that in your setup, so I worry that it might not be so
unusual. I haven't yet researched what the difference actually is
between
these two environment variables, or whether one should have preference
over the other.
[snip]
In all honesty, I don't entirely understand the contents of that
environment variable myself. The LANG and LANGUAGE variables both appear
to get set in my /etc/environment file.

I'm an Ubuntu user, and during installation, I have the distribution
install support for US and GB English, and I have it use the US
localization stuff as the default. That is probably how it happens.

I did some googling, and I found some relevant information:
http://www.suse.de/~mfabian/suse-cjk/locales-env-var.html

So, we have:

1.
LANGUAGE: This variable is a GNU extension and overrides LC_MESSAGES,
(even if LC_ALL is set).
1.1
LC_MESSAGES: Formats of informative and diagnostic messages and
interactive responses (also for graphical user interfaces).

2.
LANG: The value of this variable is used as the default value for all LC_*
variables which are not explicitly set.
2.1: LC_TIME Date and time formats.

So, I wonder whether LC_MESSAGES is meant to have any connection with
LC_TIME.

Murray Cumming