Re: getting started

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 02:05 -0800, Tim Wilson wrote:
Hi,

I would like to join the Glom development team.  I am a software
developer and have C++ and database experience and would like to help
out.  Should I start on the Tasks page or is there anything specific
that needs to get done?

Excellent. Your help would be very much appreciated.

Yes, I suggest that you look over:
http://www.glom.org/wiki/index.php?title=Development/Plans

And the list of bugs, linked from here:
http://www.glom.org/wiki/index.php?title=Contact

I'm currently working on the "Internationalization" task, and improving
performance (by using smartpointers for field information). I should
have that checked in in the next 3 or 4 days.

Johannes Kross is apparently working on the "Relationships Overview"
task, as an experimental bounty that I offered:
http://launchpad.net/bounties/glom-relationships-overview

For a relatively easy starter task, I suggest the "Scripting" task:
  To start with, it can just be a button (a new LayoutItem type) on the
Details layout which has some python code (a big string) associated with
it. Later we can provide python APIs so that that script can interact
with Glom. But that's not necessary for a first step. We already embed
python for the calculated fields so there should be some code to
reuse/copy.

I recommend jhbuild to create a development environment in a separate
prefix.

--
Murray Cumming