Re: glom

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 12:17 -0700, Rodrigo Salinas wrote:
2005-11-10

Murray,

Hello.
I have developed, over time a few Filemaker Pro databases that i use
in a small business.
I have decided i want to move away from windows and filemaker because
of cost and speed, and I've decided to move to linux and would like to
migrate my databases to opensource databases.
I had "decided" on mysql and php using apache on a browser, but I came
across Glom, and now I am very excited, confused, and a bit
dissapointed.
excited because, as it seems glom should work similar to Filemaker
Pro, which I can use fairly well; It seems that I can actually
"create" calculated fields, etc.
confused, well not really, i was just wondering if I can do related
pop up lists?

Yes. For instance, see the product ID list here:
http://www.glom.org/wiki/index.php?title=Screenshots#The_Details_View_-_related_records

Dissapointed, again not really, but will this ever run mysql?

Not unless someone does the work, or pays me to do the work.

anyways,
please consider mysql, wich seems to be really easy to install via
xampp, foxserv, appserver,

I've never heard of any of these things. Both mysql and postgresql can
be easily installed using your Linux distro's package management system.

The choice of mysql of postgres SQL does not seem interesting to the
regular user. It's a boring technical details.

Also, mysql's client APIs are GPL, which prevents anything that wraps it
from being LGPL.

 etc It would be great, also if you could point me in the proper
direction on a similar product with postgresql, it would be
appreciated.
Also, have you considered a windows or Mac OSX version of Glom?

Yes, a Windows port should be easy. However, it's not a priority for me
at the moment, unless someone supports me with it.

 The only reason I ask is the following...I can't switch to linux
until I have the databases off filemeker, and I can't use Glom on
windows, makes it a bit hard...i know i could dual boot, but a Windows
version, would be a lot cooler

Rodrigo Salinas

p.d.  If I could be of service to you in any way, regarding this
project, please don't hesitate to contact me. However, I mostly know
filemaker, and do have a lot of entusiasm and could learn

If you can code at all, then do try porting Glom to Windows, asking for
help on gtkmm-list and/or glom-devel-list.

If you can install Linux somewhere, please do submit bug reports, or
even patches. I expect to start intensive work on Glom again in January.

Thanks for the email.

Murray Cumming