Re: Website typo

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 13:49 +0200, Markus Bertheau ☭ wrote:
В Птн, 13/05/2005 в 13:32 +0200, Murray Cumming пишет:
On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 11:51 +0200, Markus Bertheau ☭ wrote:
Hi,

on http://www.glom.org/wiki/index.php?title=Screenshots saying "dates
and times [...] are always stored in the database in standard ISO
format" is like saying "ints are stored in hex (or decimal or octal or
binary) format". The representation of the data is independent from it's
storage format.

I'm not sure about that. I think it's a postgres option, so some
postgres databases will use non-ISO formats in SQL queries and results,
I think it would be stupid to choose anything other than ISO format, but
I guess some people see it as a shortcut that avoids reformatting.

What you have in mind is probably the format of the date in the SQL
query, not the format it is stored in the database. If the glom user
(the designer role) needs to know how dates and times are formatted in
SQL, it's probably better to say something like "dates and times are
sent to the database in ISO format" or "dates and times use the ISO
format in SQL queries".

Ah thanks for the clue. Feel free to update the wiki page with that,
concisely.

Dates and times, afaik, are stored as 64 bit integers or floats in
postgresql.

I don't know if you do that already, but you should SET DATESTYLE TO
ISO; after connecting to the database to make sure that postgresql
outputs and understands iso format dates, independently of what the pg
administrator may have set the respective postgresql.conf option to.
(Maybe libgda does that already.)

Thanks very much for that too. I worried about what would happen with
strange postgres servers.

--
Murray Cumming